Sunday, January 28, 2007

Are YOU a Cheap Trick ?

In the past 24 hours, I have traveled from Boston to NY and back, got in some much needed R+R, diagnosed myself with SAAD, and an assortment of other abbreviations as well.

But more importantly, my worst nightmare came to pass. Let's examine....

To start, Jill's boyfriend's band played a show here in Boston and I got put on the guestlist to finally experience the magic that is An Albotross for myself.














All I can say is.....WOW. The band plays songs that are loud, upbeat, and no longer than 1 minute each. Eddie screams the lyrics at the top of his lungs, making them almost completely incomprehensible. Eddie is a wonder to watch on stage though, every single eye in the house was on him the whole time, kind of like how lions eye their prey just before pouncing. But knowing him as I do, I couldn't help but wonder that maybe the stage-antics are a big game, and believe it or not, we're all playing, and he's winning.














So Karen and I were a little out of place. Big deal. Over all it was a great experience. And Why??

Fear # 1: a club full of people who look like they want to eat me. Conquered.

Also this week, I hung out a few times with Joseph, Steve, and Maura, and we went to a bar and played a little darts.














With their help, I conquered another one of my fears. But I know I'm not alone with this one. This is a condition that affects thousands of frail but stylish boys around the globe EACH DAY.

That's right, I'm talking about SAAD:

Social Athletic Anxiety Disorder.

This runs much deeper than last pick for gym kickball teams. Common side effects include hitting people in the face with darts, kicking off one's sneaker on the soccer court, or "field", hitting a foul ball and running for dear life, swinging the bat and immediately lettting it go so it flies into the bleachers (always amusing), a general lack of knowledge of football in its entirety, bump, set, spike, death, or forgetting that the Hornets moved out of Charlotte after the 2001/2002 season to take up residence in New Orleans, only to be ousted again to Oklahoma City after the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina.

SAAD makes darts in a bar very difficult, with so much testosterone swirling around at all times. But you know what? I sucked it up. I "shmeared". And I got through it. THANKS TEAM!

For more info on SAAD, visit here.















Fear # 2: Social Athletic Anxiety. Conquered!

Finally, I made a rapid-fire surprise visit to NY this weekend to drop in on my friend Spiro at his 21st birthday party. Mission: Accomplished.















Could not have pulled it off without my critical wingman, Brian.

Anyway, I had a great time meeting all of his friends, and staying up all night with them in their amazing duplex.

I met 2 other guys named Evan...who are featured here, in this photo titled 3xEvan:















And tracked down Brittany at Zanzibar which was crazy...














But, back to my story. It is always an interesting situation when you are introduced very quickly into a pre-existing group of friends, and you only know one of them. Like a new germ in an ecosystem. It wreaks havoc without even trying. So, coincidentally, since I was the only new face in the crowd, and because I traveled such a long way to celebrate my friend's birthday with him, and we're both amazingly good looking, someone awkwardly referred to me as a "new trick". And I think they meant it.

Ahhh, the liquor comes out, and so do the mean gays.

And people wonder why I speak out against this "lifestyle choice" with such fervor :) Come on...

I mean, chalk it up to experience, but I think it adds to my character, and is a great story to tell the grandkids. In the end, I had an awesome weekend and Spiro had the coolest 21st birthday party everrrr.

Fear # 3 (AKA my worst nightmare): Being mistaken for Amy Fisher...don't think I need to worry about this one too much.














I have never successfully pulled off any sort of surprise before, so the fact that this went off without a hitch is greatly satisfying. I look forward to pulling off my next great stunt. Maybe I'll go over Niagara in a barrel. Maybe I'll live in a block of ice for 9 days like David Blaine.

Maybe....


PEACE OUT
-Tricky McGee

No comments: